Module 1: Case Intake
- Initiating the file with our Personal Injury Case Checklist to make sure you have everything you need to get the case moving forward
- Client Intake by phone and in person, with a personal injury checklist to keep you on track
- Preparing the client for the meeting with the attorney so that they don’t forget to bring the critical documentation with them
- Fact-gathering and witness interviews during the pre-litigation phase
Module 2: Proactive Case Management
- Medical records requests from Day 1 to prevent delays later in the case
- Keeping the information organized
- Managing the medical records to keep the case moving forward
- Preparing medical summaries
- Medical status updates to keep the client active in their treatment
Module 3: The Demand and Settlement Negotiations
- Understanding subrogation liens and contract liens
- Drafting the demand letter
- Proofreading techniques to reduce errors in the demand letter
- Negotiations to get the case to settlement
- Your role in the final settlement
Module 4: Initiating Litigation
- Preparing for litigation when it won’t settle
- Serving the complaint and initial discovery
- Being the proactive personal injury paralegal in the litigation phase
- Using a case tracking log to make sure you don’t miss any deadlines
For more in-depth training on mastering the discovery phase of your litigation matters, see our Litigation Paralegal Boot Camp course.
For Only $225
Additional Course Information
The course access period for this course is 90 days. But life happens! Things come up that you didn’t expect. That’s not a problem.
If something comes up and you are not able to complete the course during your course access period, just shoot us an email and let us know that you need more time.
This course is approved for 6.0 CLE credits.
In addition to the course lessons, your course includes templates and forms that you will be able to download and use right away on your own cases. Some of those include:
- New Case Checklist
- Intake Form for Phone Intake
- Index for Doctor’s Meeting Notebook
- Personal Injury Questionnaire
- Medical Records Notebook – Table of Contents
- Medical Expense Tracking Sheet
- Pre-Suit Checklist
- Demand Letter Template
- Negotiation Worksheet
- And more…
This course is recommended for paralegals at any experience level who work in the personal injury practice area or who want to transition to become a personal injury paralegal.
This course focus on the pre-litigation phase of personal injury matters. If your personal injury matters usually end up in litigation, then you should also consider the Litigation Paralegal Boot Camp, which takes you through the discovery phase of a litigation matter or the Trial Prep Boot Camp if your cases frequently go to trial.
Ann Pearson is the Founder of PRM Education Group and Director of Training for its nationally-recognized Paralegal Boot Camp®. Ann develops training programs exclusively for paralegals and legal assistants.
Ms. Pearson has over 25 years of experience in the legal industry, first as a litigation paralegal at a boutique law firm in Sarasota, Florida and then as a litigation paralegal at Holland & Knight LLP. She later became the paralegal manager at McKenna, Long & Aldridge LLP (now Dentons), where she managed the paralegals and case assistants in their Atlanta, New York and San Diego offices. Ann was able to significantly increase the skill set, retention rates and productivity of McKenna’s paralegal group through methods that she now teaches in the Paralegal Boot Camp.
Ms. Pearson teaches online courses for Emory University’s Paralegal Certificate Program and is a frequent speaker at legal industry events. She has served on the Advisory Board of Brown Mack College’s paralegal certificate program in Atlanta and is the former President at the Foundation for the Advancement of the Paralegal Profession (FAPP).