Courses for Paralegals
For litigation-specific courses for new and experienced paralegals, visit our Paralegal Courses page. Law firms and corporate legal departments use these courses to bridge the gap between what they teach in paralegal certificate programs and the paralegal skills that most litigation attorneys need from their professional staff.
We give paralegals a solid plan to implement right away to increase their billable hours. The methods discussed in this paralegal training program come from years of research that included asking attorneys “how does a paralegal get the billable work off your desk and on to their desk?” It also comes from asking paralegals who consistently exceed their billable hour goals.
- A review of a study that shows one method alone that could give paralegals an additional 100-150 billable hours right away
- Attorney research on why they prefer to use one paralegal over another
- What other paralegals are doing that allows them to consistently exceed annual quotas for their billable hours
- The importance of planning for slow billable hour months when there are vacations and holidays
- Develop a solid plan on which methods paralegals will focus on to get the most ROI in the shortest amount of time
In this motivational workshop, we put a new spin on Stephen Covey’s Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by showing paralegals how they can develop their own 7 habits that will advance their careers to a new level.
This workshop content is great for kicking off an annual professional development series or a presentation at a paralegal retreat. Like all of our paralegal training programs, we can customize this presentation to make sure we are include the habits that you would like your team to focus on.
- What separates a highly successful paralegal career from a paralegal job
- A different approach to the meaning of proactive behavior
- The importance of networking and marketing your paralegal skills within your organization
- Building trust and credibility of others through excellent work product
The top criteria for advancement and promotion for all professionals is an ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. It is a very important paralegal skill to possess. Many paralegals believe people are born to be great communicators. Instead, we show them that it is a skill that can be developed by working on it each day.
- Understanding the difference between generations when communicating
- Four methods to use to be more concise in your communication
- The importance of being confident in your communications with attorneys
- Easy steps to a better proofread to eliminate errors in your writing
The key to reducing write-offs is to draft time entries that show the real value of the work that was done. We show paralegals methods for drafting time entries that show the real value of their work to the billing partner and to the client.
- The importance of showing the real value of your work to the client
- Understanding the impact of write-offs
- The key content that should be in every time entry
- Top reasons cited by billing partners (and corporate counsel) for writing off paralegal time and what you can do to change that
This course gives paralegals the training and basic understanding into the capabilities of how to use Microsoft Excel to streamline a paralegal’s work.
Upon completion of this course, paralegals will be able to:
- Design the Excel Spreadsheet
- Organize and Review Data
- Name, Color and Format Spreadsheets
- Implement Quick Tricks and Useful Keystrokes
- Work with Excel Templates
- Copy, Paste and Embed Data
- Create Hyperlinks to Worksheets and Other Files
- Create and Use Basic Formulas and Functions to Calculate Data
- Use Excel for Lists, Timelines and Other Tables
In this training program, paralegals learn how to measure their daily, weekly and monthly productivity and then we give them solid methods to improve those numbers. They will be able to set a plan for which methods will work best in their particular situation. The session also covers how to reduce administrative/non-billable time to free you up to work on more billable projects.
- Working at a lower productivity level means longer work hours to get the same work done that others get done in less time
- Lower productivity while you’re in the office means less time with family and friends
- How to calculate your daily productivity and set daily goals to increase it
- Solid methods to improve your productivity
- How to identify and limit distractions for an increase your focus
- Prioritizing your work day so that you can get all of your work done and still have a life outside the office
We also offer a variety of litigation-specific courses for your litigation paralegals. Each of our litigation course modules is approximately 60 minutes, so you can schedule weekly or monthly group webinars when we present to your group. All of our courses for paralegals can also be accessed through our online learning management system as an “on-demand” training.
Our courses for litigation paralegals include:
- E-discovery training
- Basic training for new litigation paralegals
- Trial Prep Boot Camp
- Personal injury case management
- Drafting discovery requests and responses
- And more…
Click Here to visit our Paralegal Courses page to learn more about litigation courses.
If you are looking for a comprehensive litigation training program for your new litigation paralegals, take a look at our Comprehensive Litigation Paralegal Training Package that law firms and corporate legal departments are using as part of their onboarding for new hires.
Microsoft PowerPoint provides a variety of tools that can help paralegals deliver content in nearly any situation, not just a presentation. By taking advantage of these tools, paralegals will be creating presentations that convey the key points of any message in a variety of legal industry settings. It is recommended that your professionals have access to a computer and a minimum of Microsoft 2016 available, as this is a hands-on workshop where the attendees will be working alongside the instructor from their own computers.
- Examples of how PowerPoint can be used in a paralegal’s work
- Basic design principles to make your slides look professional
- Identify the basic features and functions of PowerPoint 2016
- Develop a PowerPoint presentation
- Add graphical elements to your presentation
- Modify objects in your presentation
- Add tables and charts to your presentation
- Using PowerPoint for timelines and video clips
In this program, we give paralegals an overview of the essential elements of project management principles and the project management life cycle as it applies to projects that paralegals are typically involved in. Participants gain an understanding of how to apply the “triple constraints” of project management to their work.
- Project management history and definitions to know
- How a paralegal can add value to their team through project management
- Examples of typical projects that can benefit from applying the triple constraints
- Understanding the difference between legal project management and other types of project management
Social media sites and apps have become ethical minefields for legal professionals. This practical course will allow attendees to uncover potential ethical pitfalls when using social media and accessing other internet sites from their work computers. We’ll also cover the latest in cybersecurity issues that employees may not know is putting their firm at risk for a security breach.
- Social media do’s and don’ts when working at a law firm
- A review of attorney-client privilege and confidentiality for legal professionals
- Ethical dilemmas to avoid on social media by knowing exactly who you have “friended”
- An understanding of how privacy settings don’t always protect you
- Real-life horror stories of Social-Media-Gone-Bad
We spend a majority of our waking hours with our colleagues. When you are working with people who have “difficult” personalities, those hours can never go by fast enough. In this webinar we will cover methods for recognizing the characteristics of the common types of difficult people (hint: you might even be one yourself and not even know it!). We’ll give you strategies for dealing with these types of people in the workplace that will make your work hours more enjoyable.
- How to recognize the different characteristics of the most common difficult people usually encountered in the workplace
- Understanding the different methods to use when working with different types of difficult people
- Some coping mechanisms for effectively dealing with difficult people
- What to do if you are the difficult person